3/29/15

Slow Saturday, Slower Sunday

My energy level seems to have taken a dive lately. Not getting good sleep isn't helping. I'm not one to whine about the change to daylight savings time because I happen to like that extra hour of daylight at the end of the day. Mike and I love eating out on the patio in the summer, and it's nice to have the daylight. Here in the Northwest, it can be light until after 10:00 p.m. during the longest days of the year. Nevertheless, I'll admit that my sleep has been off for the past week or so. Coincidence? Probably not.

Either way, I don't have a lot to tell you. We picked up wine from two wineries yesterday, and so that little chore is checked off the list. Today we're going to go pick up a treadmill from Erik. Is it just me, or is there something humorous about me being tired coupled with the anticipation of a treadmill coming to live at our house? Something to ponder. The weather is better today, and so this afternoon I'm hopeful we'll have time left in the day to clean out the greenhouse.


The little tomato seedlings are doing well. It's interesting to me how identical seeds can grow at such different rates. Some are a full foot tall, while others are mere inches. The tallest ones are getting kind of leggy, and so they're needing to be propped up to keep them from falling over. Their stems are a little fragile for using string or wire or anything else to stake them. Usually, I try to have things moved out to the greenhouse by April 1st, and so the time is approaching fast. Also, I'd like to get my lettuce seeds started. And all of that to say that cleaning the greenhouse is moving quickly to the top of our list of priorities.

The only other thing I've done this morning (aside from embroidery, which is always a given), is to start looking at the next block for Lisa's quilt. I've started just taking them from the top of the pile. At the top of the pile this morning was this poem and artwork from Lisa's former student Hannah:


The original fills an entire 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, and so the challenge with this block is to fit the rectangular design into a square quilt block. As an experiment, I simply scanned it, changed its proportions, cropped it to the size I want, and Voila! One quilt block pattern created:


Also, I put Hannah's signature at the bottom. To my eye, it doesn't look so different squished down as it is unless I hold the two side by side. I'm running it by Lisa just to be sure she's okay with the squishiness, but this seems doable to me. I'll probably machine stitch the blue and green background lines, just because it's faster than hand-stitching. Then, I'll hand stitch the rest.

Before I do that, however, I want to finish up my next door for the Doors of Ireland. This door:


The biggest challenge with this one will be to make the lettering at the top. However, I've done it with other blocks, and I'll get it done with this one. Getting started is always the biggest challenge.

So there you go...my Sunday in a nutshell. Guess I'll get to it.

4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I've taken a slow Sunday too. A few small errands in town done very early, a little housework (lite housework) and some small blocks occassionally fed under the machine mixed with an old B/W movie in the background. The sun is shining today but bitter cold - but the sun is really appreciated!

quiltzyx said...

The new crop of Poisonous Wolf Peaches in red Solo cups...oh my!
The resized block looks good to me, but a lot of words to stitch.
I'm looking forward to seeing the newest Irish door too.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I'm finally past that Spring forward "hump"....and like you, loving the extra sunlight. We enjoy BBQ and eating outside too! And wine! Girl I wish we were neighbors!

Snoodles said...

Like you, I take a while to adapt, but truly enjoy that daylight later in the day! Love the potential in the cups....salsa, and sauce, and.....yum!